Skip to main content

Pt 2: Joseph Paxton vs the Dinosaurs

As often happens with places you see on a map, on the ground I felt a bit lost. There was the giant, six-lane Crystal Palace Parade, and then a confusing series of one way streets forming a triangle. This…is it, I thought, feeling deflated. 

And so it was. I hopped through the three lanes, looking for somewhere to sit and ‘soak up the incredible atmosphere of Crystal Palace’ as I’d told myself in my head. The portents were not great, I have to say. As I crossed one junction the people in the car next to me were having a huge argument with the passenger window down. 

‘Well you’ll just have to let me out right here, won’t you’, said the passenger to the driver as they crossed the big junction onto the equally big quasi-motorway. If he’d been let out he would have been squashed in an instant. He looked mid 30s, with a big beard, and seemed petulantly angry.

‘I can’t put up with this any more.’ Yikes! I was sad to see them turn away. I wanted to keep listening. But onwards.

It being midday, and a Thursday, I thought it not the apposite moment for a pint. So I found a coffee shop instead. One that looked suitably hipsterish – you know, lots of rough wood, beans prominently displayed, independently owned. It was called The Roasted Bean. Perfect. Except the people inside looked utterly bored (I want my baristas frothy and excitable, just like my coffee, please!) and there was a prohibition on laptops in the window tables, so the few customers in there were relegated to the darkened back. I got a coffee and meditated on the nature of Crystal Palace. 

Having successfully meditated and come to the conclusion it was ‘alright’, I set off for the park, which I’d once heard someone describe as the best in London. High praise indeed. What I found was rather strange. 

Whether it was the headless friar, 




the ghostly remains of where The Crystal Palace was (till it burned down in 1936),

Like most ruins, leaves quite a lot to the imagination, but picture a massive glass well, palace, and you're in the right ballpark

the imposing head of Joseph Paxton, architect of aforementioned Palace, 


the rather dystopian looking gym in the middle, 


the casual red Sphinxes, 


or the dinosaurs, peeking out of foliage on their island homes, 

A furtive moment
I was impressed. 

Crystal Palace was redeemed! From the fighting couple in their hatchback, to the one-way triangle that seemed to prohibit bicycluar dawdling, I’d felt a little disappointed. In the sunshine I was restored. 


I think I’d realised earlier though that Crystal Palace, such as it was in my head, was a destination of pilgrimage that was as much as mental as physical. I was entranced by the life Kitson described. I wanted to find that earthiness, that romance with a place, in my own life. It seemed a mixture of the individual and the communitarian: a village (urban folk hold a candle for the village, I think) in the big city. Of course it was what I learnt on the way that was the real journey. Life seems to me to be about finding or creating what meaning you can – my trip to Crystal Palace gave meaning to that dream I’d long had. It made me think about what I was looking for ~in my life~ and why. And it was an excuse for a day out to go see some dinos. Can’t say fairer than that.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bloody politics

We’re all fox-hunters. It’s just some of us are more honest than others. These days we sneer at past generations and their blood sports: Roman gladiatorial contests; early-modern bear-baiting; Victorian bare-knuckle boxing. And we have a point. Those sports prized the blood-spatter. Ignore your conscience briefly, though, and imagine what the spectators might have felt. An almost giddy thrill, plus deep relief: thank god it was not your blood in the sand. But even to indulge this thought experiment feels wrong. That past is foreign.  I class fox, deer, and bird hunting in that same group. I think they're outdated, outmoded, and will soon be out of fashion. I also don’t think I’m alone in this – look at the huge reaction to the Tory manifesto commitment to repeal the fox hunting ban. Hunting is part of a bloodsport world sustained by an aspect of human nature that is disappearing. That's why I scoffed when I read Gilbert White, an otherwise astute observer, say the fol

Tarragon lemonade & parmesan porridge

‘We’d like to try some Russian food.’ ‘No, Russian food is bad – how about New Fusion?’ There was only one way to answer that. And anyway Vitaly clearly wouldn’t hear otherwise.  But we were in Russia to see Russia. Surely that meant doing Russian things, like tasting the borsch, stodgy stews, and endless herrings that passed for their national cuisine. Having no overwhelming desire to stuff ourselves with potatoes and small fish, though, we took Vitaly’s suggestion went to Duo, the New Fusion ‘gastrobar’, to book a table. Seven hours, and much canal-admiring and rain-dodging later, we were back. The burrata we ordered came out with a thick, salty puree of sundried tomatoes, and a dark green tapenade of mashed olives; we speared it on our forks and watched the cheese wobbling under the pastes; it disappeared in seconds. Veal cheeks followed, in a sticky, sweet gravy: slow-cooked, tender meat offset by sharp spinach and young peas. We finished with a chocolate ganache – the e

The smallest gold train in the world

There’s a cannon in the Kremlin so big it’s never been fired in anger; no cannon ball has ever left its cavernous aperture. The Tsar Cannon keeps guard, uselessly, as waves of tourists stream past. Just down the path lies the Tsar Bell, the largest bell ever cast. But a huge, ten ton chunk broke off during the casting and its note has never sounded. They’re both massive and imposing, and designed only ever to be those.  The Kremlin is full of such stuff, spanning the mega, the mini, and all in between. Elsewhere there were swords, regalia, thrones, helmets, shields, and guns. All owned by Prince this and Tsar that. There was a throne for the twin Tsars, complete with a secret compartment from which their mother and regent could whisper to them. And then, as if it were totally normal, you stumble into a side room and come eye to eye with a fully stuffed horse. The best bit was the royal carriages. These ornate wooden traps, often entirely gilded, or painted a deep maroon, were