Skip to main content

Pt 1: Malevolent buildings/Crystal Spires

It can see you. Wherever you turn, you know it’s watching. Think you’re safe hidden within four walls? Think again. Those three evil eyes at the top can see through bricks and mortar with x-ray vision. 

What am I talking about? The eye of Mordor Elephant & Castle aka Strata SE1 aka ‘Razor’, one of the more evil looking buildings in London, with its wind turbine apertures that look like eyes. I remember leaving for work in the mornings when I lived in Brixton and casually, even nonchalantly, glancing backwards as I crossed the Brixton Road and BAM. There it was. Staring right back.  Ugh. Creepy. 




Thankfully, where there is darkness, there may be light. The fell presence of this all-seeing towereye is combatted by a mast to the south of the city. Hardly exciting sounding I know, a mast. Great. But just as some buildings can produce an irrational disquiet, so can others come to mean much more than what they seem.

Rewind to eleven years ago. Edinburgh Fringe. The comedian Daniel Kitson is performing. His show C90 is making me laugh. But while critics like it, they say it’s not his best work. So it’s consigned to the dustbin of ‘nearlys’. What I heard, though, wasn’t a three star show. I heard his character, Henry, describe a life that sounded like something out of Fever Pitch, something more than a postcode or an area: a beery, footbally, humming Shandri-La.  

He was talking, believe it or not, about Crystal Palace. The show had a dreamlike quality to it. Henry worked in an archive, surrounded by old casette tapes, and told the audience the story of his life. This was composed of and interrupted by long, glassy-eyed digressions on Crystal Palace. He conjured the special from the mundane: big trains, small cafes, sprawling cosy pubs, early starts in autumn mists, winter nights whiled away over beer, trooping through the streets with crowds towards the football ground on top of the hill, a crow’s nest with all of London spread out away to the north. Sounds a bit like bullshit, maybe, but it felt real enough at the time. Crystal Palace had an authenticity, like a dream-village hiding in London. 

I never forgot the show. From where I lived in north London, from the top of Hampstead Heath, I could see, far off, a lonely radio mast. A distant tiny, finger pointing skywards on a southern ridge. And it meant Crystal Palace. 

Fast forward to last November and it was closer than ever. I’d moved to South East London, Loughborough Junction. I could see it from my train station. Sometimes it can look like the Eiffel Tower. Sometimes it can look furtive. Or even alluring.

As seen, under the watchful gaze of three cameras, from Loughborough Junction


On second thoughts, maybe a radio transmission tower can’t be alluring. But I wanted to go all the same. And so, one sunny morning in the last days of summer, I got on my bike and, finally, set out for Crystal Palace. 

From my house I ducked under a railway bridge and shot up through Ruskin Park, where brown leaves scattered the pathways. After cresting Denmark Hill and careering along that arrow straight, dipped path alongside East Dulwich I took a fork past a large church in green fields. The road was practically empty. Slowly the gradient began to increase. I waved hello to Nigel Farage’s old alma mater (how Dulwich College must regret ever having admitted him) as well as the toll guard, discovered, quite unexpectedly, in a little white hut on the lane just up from the school. Dulwich is a strange place. The last section felt vertical and had me on the smallest, elliptical chain ring of my bike (which is built for long distances with heavy loads – in the 80s ellipses were considered more efficient), puffing past early conkers strewing the cycle path. 

At the top I got my reward. That she blew.




It was a moment of release. I’d made it. Finally. After so many years of wondering and day dreaming, I was beneath the radio mast. I got back on my bike to cycle into what I imagined was the centre of Crystal Palace, to see if I could sniff out some of the magic Kitson had described. The light was red and the road was wide so I stole another glance up at the tower as I waited. Suddenly I felt sick. The top loomed above me and then swayed forward. The whole structure was toppling forward, ready to come crashing down onto the road. Fuck! I pedalled like my life depended on it, panting hard. 

Then it was behind me. And all was fine. The mast wasn’t falling. Just an optical illusion. Or the slight swaying of the tower in the wind. Was it? Was I sure? One thing is certain. I didn’t stop pedalling. Because ahead of me was what had been floating through my head for eleven years: Crystal Palace. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bloody politics

We’re all fox-hunters. It’s just some of us are more honest than others. These days we sneer at past generations and their blood sports: Roman gladiatorial contests; early-modern bear-baiting; Victorian bare-knuckle boxing. And we have a point. Those sports prized the blood-spatter. Ignore your conscience briefly, though, and imagine what the spectators might have felt. An almost giddy thrill, plus deep relief: thank god it was not your blood in the sand. But even to indulge this thought experiment feels wrong. That past is foreign.  I class fox, deer, and bird hunting in that same group. I think they're outdated, outmoded, and will soon be out of fashion. I also don’t think I’m alone in this – look at the huge reaction to the Tory manifesto commitment to repeal the fox hunting ban. Hunting is part of a bloodsport world sustained by an aspect of human nature that is disappearing. That's why I scoffed when I read Gilbert White, an otherwise astute observer, say the fol

Tarragon lemonade & parmesan porridge

‘We’d like to try some Russian food.’ ‘No, Russian food is bad – how about New Fusion?’ There was only one way to answer that. And anyway Vitaly clearly wouldn’t hear otherwise.  But we were in Russia to see Russia. Surely that meant doing Russian things, like tasting the borsch, stodgy stews, and endless herrings that passed for their national cuisine. Having no overwhelming desire to stuff ourselves with potatoes and small fish, though, we took Vitaly’s suggestion went to Duo, the New Fusion ‘gastrobar’, to book a table. Seven hours, and much canal-admiring and rain-dodging later, we were back. The burrata we ordered came out with a thick, salty puree of sundried tomatoes, and a dark green tapenade of mashed olives; we speared it on our forks and watched the cheese wobbling under the pastes; it disappeared in seconds. Veal cheeks followed, in a sticky, sweet gravy: slow-cooked, tender meat offset by sharp spinach and young peas. We finished with a chocolate ganache – the e

The smallest gold train in the world

There’s a cannon in the Kremlin so big it’s never been fired in anger; no cannon ball has ever left its cavernous aperture. The Tsar Cannon keeps guard, uselessly, as waves of tourists stream past. Just down the path lies the Tsar Bell, the largest bell ever cast. But a huge, ten ton chunk broke off during the casting and its note has never sounded. They’re both massive and imposing, and designed only ever to be those.  The Kremlin is full of such stuff, spanning the mega, the mini, and all in between. Elsewhere there were swords, regalia, thrones, helmets, shields, and guns. All owned by Prince this and Tsar that. There was a throne for the twin Tsars, complete with a secret compartment from which their mother and regent could whisper to them. And then, as if it were totally normal, you stumble into a side room and come eye to eye with a fully stuffed horse. The best bit was the royal carriages. These ornate wooden traps, often entirely gilded, or painted a deep maroon, were